Bill No.: HB0146 Drafter: JWL
LSO No.: 09LSO-0236 Effective Date:
Enrolled Act No.: HEA0094
Chapter No.: 147
Prime Sponsor: Representative Steward
Catch Title: Emergency medical services sustainability trust.
Subject: Creates a new program to assess and improve EMS services.
Summary/Major Elements: This act:
· Creates the emergency medical services sustainability trust ("EMSST") and EMSST income account to be administered by the Department of Health;
· Provides for needs assessment grant applications from interested persons, groups and political subdivisions in local EMS service areas;
· Requires $5,000 local matching funds for assessment grants;
· Authorizes the Department to contract for EMS needs assessments, including a description of existing services, strengths, weaknesses and coverage gaps and the development of an EMS master plan for the service area;
· Identifies components of EMS master plans;
· Provides for and establishes requirements for EMS master plan implementation grants to counties, EMS joint powers boards and EMS special districts.
· Creates the Emergency Medical Services Sustainability Trust and grant program.
· Requires an annual report from Dept. of Health to Joint Labor Committee on program expenditures and recommendations for program changes.
· Appropriates $500,000 tobacco settlement funds to the trust account and $50,000 to the income account for the EMS program.
· Immediate effective date.